Numerous cultural and historical monuments have been preserved in this town: St. Jacob's Church, the Town Hall, Protestant Church, a Medieval pillory - the Cage of Shame and more than 60 burghers' houses, most of them from the 14th - 15th century, which form the Master Pavol's Square.The square has retained its Medieval shape: it is a rectangle with 3:1 sides, and it belongs to the largest squares of its kind in Europe. The square and the well-preserved Renaissance houses prove the riches of the town in the Middle Ages. The most significant of the preserved burghers' houses in the square are: the House of Thurzo, Master Pavol's House, the House of Mariassy, the Spillenberg's House, the Krupek's House, the building of the Theater, the Large and Small Provincial Houses, the Old Minorites Church, the Old Minorites Monastery, the Minorites' Baroque Church and monastery and many others.
St James's Church
It is a three-nave church with a sturdy sanctuary. It is vaulted by Gothic cross corridors. It was built in the last quarter of the 14th century. In 1392, the St. George's Chapel was added to the northern part of the church . During the next century northern and southern entrances were added. They both have beautiful and rich porches with abundant plastic ornaments. There used to be a door under the spire on the west side, but it was abolished in Vladislav Jagelonsky's times, when the pews for the town council were added here. Above the pews, the choir with star-shaped arches, railing and beautiful circle ornament was built. In the 16th century, a final change was done, when between 1520-1540 a bibliotheca was added. It is one of the first Renaissance constructions of the town of Levoca. However, the spire of the church is not as old. Several fires had remarkably damaged the original spire, so the citizens of Levoca decided to build a new one. It was completed in 1858. The interiorof the church is worth our attention, too, with its Gothic altars, the most precious of them being the main altar. Thanks to its size it is one of the world's highest. It is 18.62 m in height, made of limetree wood in Master Pavol's workshop. Other monuments include: the Altar of Virgin Mary the Snowy, St. Peter and Paul's Altar, St. John's Altar, Corvinus,i.e. Vir Dolorum, St. Anne' and St. Catherine's Altars, The Altar of the Birth, wooden senators' pews and the metal font, mass decorations, cups, monstrances and Gothic mural paintings.
The Town Hall
The Town Hall of Levoca dates back to the 15th century. It burnt down in 1550, and there was another fire in 1599. In 1615 the Town Hall was enlarged and the southern part , as well as the archways on the first and second floors, were added. In the corner of the southern facade, there is a remain of the original painting. More paintings were placed between the windows. The paintings represent symbols of civil virtues: moderation, carefulness, bravery, patience and justice. The building of the Town Hall is attached to a Renaissance tower, which was built between 1656 - 1661 as a bell-tower. There are some expositions of the Spis Museum on the first floor of the Town Hall. Its Session Hall is used for representation purposes.
The Cage of Shame
It comes from the 16th century and it was used for punishing for minor delinquencies. Its original place was where the Protestant Church is situated now. Later, it belonged to the Probstner family and it was placed in their park, which was situated where the hospital is now. The Cage was given to the town by the Probstner family in 1933 and since then, it has been situated in front of the Town Hall.
The Trade House.
It used to belong to the complex of buildings in the park, just like the goldsmiths' workshops. Originally, there was a school here, which is proved by the coat of arms opposite the church. It was rebuilt into a higher standard school in 1588. The town's armory was situated here, too. Between 1587 - 1588 the buildings were joined together. After the reconstructions in 1810 and 1858 - 1852, there was a grammar school, casino, confectionery, restaurant and appartments, too.Today, being restored again, the building is the seat of the town's administraton.
The Protestant Church
There is a Greek-cross-shaped building in the south of the square, with a huge dome. It was built in Classicistic style by Anton Povolny between 1825 -1837. There is an organ, archives and a valuable library. In this church, there is a well-preserved Baroque wooden cross and another, forged, cross.A famous painter from Levoca, Jozef Czauczik, made the large altar picture of Christ walking on the sea.
The Town Theater
The building of the theater is situated in the impressive surroundings of the monuments in the west of the square. The building, and esp. the theater, was given back its chamber character from the first half of the 19th century. There is a Congress Hall, Theater Hall, two course rooms and a blue parlor. The reopened Town Theater offers a wide variety of theater performances, cultural events, but also facilities for organizing congresses, seminars and various social events.
The Large Provincial House
From the 16th century to the end of 1922, Levoca was the seat of the Spis Province. Between 1806 - 1826, an architect from the city of Eger, Anton Povolny, built a grandiose administration building, the Large Provincial House, as the seat of the town's administration. He adjusted its Classicistic style to Levoca's Renaissance character by emphasizing the horizontal lines. The House is considered the most beautiful Provincial House all over former Hungary. Today, it is reconstructed and it is a seat of the administration.